Thursday, July 11, 2013

Windows Search Doesn't Show Partial Results (Windows 7 / Windows 8)

I've stopped using the Start Menu a long time ago. It just seemed too tedious.

I figured it was much easier to simply press the Windows key, and start typing the name of the app I wanted to launch.

But, somehow - with no apparent reason - the search function because too strict. It no longer found, for example, Blender, until I wrote the full name. Just a few days earlier, Windows found it when I was starting to type ble.

Problem: Windows search doesn't show partial results for app names.

Solution:
  1. Open "Control Panel"
  2. Click "Folder Options" - You can search for it in the control panel search box.
  3. Click "Search" tab.
  4. Check the first checkbox - "Find Partial Matches".
Viola.
Now you'll even be able to find the German phone book - "telefonbuch" without hurting your fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment